Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Go ahead! Get out and harness the power of networking

In August 2009, I relocated to the beautiful Okanagan Valley in British Columbia. While I had spent 27 years in Kelowna, I decided to call Vernon my new home. It was a good decision. Seven short months ago, I only knew a handful of people in Vernon. Today, that network has grown exponentially.

We all hear about the advantages of networking, yet many people find it a daunting task. Personality type can influence our relative comfort when mustering the courage to walk up to perfect strangers and strike up a conversation.

In a networking situation, have you ever thought to yourself: “What if they reject me?” “What if I say the wrong thing?” “Who am I that they would be interested in meeting me?”

Think about it. Network comes from the root words “net” and “work”. Wikipedia defines business networking as “a marketing method by which business opportunities are created through networks of like-minded business people.” Dictionary.com describes networking as the ability “to cultivate people who can be helpful to one professionally, especially in finding employment or moving to a higher position.”

Networking is about building connections with others. Essentially, it is the process of capturing an audience of one or more people and developing relationships that may have immediate or long-term benefit, personally and/or professionally. Perhaps more leaders should consider “networking” or building relationships with the people they lead. Just imagine the benefits of better relationships in the workplace!

Be brave. Skill at networking comes with practice.

Last night I attended a chamber event where the room was lit up by over 100 smiling faces, all there to connect with people in some way. Some of the faces were familiar, while the majority was not. With courage in my heart and a desire that exceeded my trepidation, I meandered into the flock with hope and curiosity. What exciting new people would I meet this evening?

My reward was the opportunity to meet several new people and in learning more about this tremendous community that I now call home. I also made some fabulous new business contacts.

If you find yourself avoiding networking events, all I can say is “feel the fear and do it anyway”. My hunch is, you will be delightfully surprised. If you are shy and have not learned the basic skills of networking, find someone who has conquered this skill and ask them if you can shadow, if nothing else but to learn and practice developing your own networking skills.

Remember, we are all human and we have a fundamental need to feel connected to people in some way, some of us more than others. Networking is a fantastic way to challenge your own limiting beliefs about meeting others and it’s a highly effective way to get involved and generate contacts for work, community service, or just to meet new friends.

To the faces in the flock last night: Thank you. Your smiling face has become part of the delightful collage of people that make up this great community. This colourful and energetic community is one that I’m proud to call my home.

1 comment:

  1. Networking is my nightmare. I've really practiced socializing techniques, but I'm still horribly frightened to put myself out there. However, I do "feel the fear and do it anyway." That book by Susan Jeffers really helped me get out of my comfort zone. My business is my life's dream and to not make it succeed is scarier than facing a crowd of strangers and trying to make them care to listen. Thanks for this inspiring post. Its always nice to be reminded that I'm not in this alone.

    ReplyDelete